This course will focus on building students' digital literacy skills through the use of a school newspaper. Throughout the course, students will learn how to craft their writing to fit the journalistic style employed in newspaper writing. Students will be working with Wordpress to create and maintain an online news site that will serve to cover the Minersville school community. Students will be working closely with their classmates and teacher, but will be graded on an individual basis. Such things as grammar, punctuation, and style will be graded of course; but students will also be graded on less formal things like hitting deadlines, uploading content, and interviewing people. Once the website is live, there will be a link to it on the school website.
Write a 200-word story in inverted-pyramid form based on the following set of facts. Assume the story is for Thursday morning’s paper.
- A female coyote was captured Thursday.
- The coyote had been roaming the streets of Lower Manhattan in New York City.
- A coyote captured uptown in January was set loose in Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx.
- By law, coyotes captured in the city must be released within the five boroughs.
- Officials at the parks department refused to say Friday where in the city they intend to release her.
- The city wants to prevent people from harassing the 30-pound coyote in her search for a more suitable habitat, said Vickie Karp, a spokeswoman for the department.
- “We pick the largest and most suitable natural habitat for the coyote,” said Vickie Karp, a spokeswoman for the department. “And for the sake of people, we’ll put the coyote somewhere with plenty of open space so people don’t have to say, ‘You parked him in front of my house.’”
- The coyote is being monitored at the Animal Care and Control shelter on East 110th Street, parks officials said, adding that the animal is resting comfortably in the and they did not know when she would be released.
- With the increase in coyote sightings in the past few years, several New York agencies have been working together to develop a plan on managing the population, said Kevin Jeffrey, a deputy parks commissioner.
Inverted pyramid checklist:
- Does your story begin with a solid straight news lead, one that meets all five of our criteria?
- Is the story free of unattributed opinion?
- Are the paragraphs arranged by order of importance? With background material generally relegated to the bottom?
- Are there adequate quotes? from clearly identified sources? Punctuated properly?
- Do the transitions work between each paragraph?